Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Week 2 of Fun With Tower Garden and Organic Gardening

Thank you to everyone who has checked in with the Fun With Tower Garden blog to watch the fruits and vegetables grow.  It's totally amazing to me how fast it's growing.  I'm already using limited amounts of the herbs - spearmint, peppermint, basil, parsley, even chives and the Malabar spinach which is doing very well despite our 90+ daytime temperatures here in Central Texas. The bottom plants are getting huge (cucumber, zucchini, and watermelon) and there are now 3 baby watermelons.  

 So here is the Tower Garden after two weeks of growth:



After asking many questions about organic gardening, I finally got some thorough answers while visiting Brite Ideas, a south Austin store specializing in hydro and aquaponics.  Since the Tower Garden is an aeroponic system and a form of hydroponics, the staff was very helpful and interested in the Tower Garden.  According to the Brite Ideas expert staff, there are three elements to organic gardening:  organic seeds, organic fertilizer (and they sell several brands), and organic insect spray.  Although my Tower Garden is not organic at the present time, I will probably switch to organic growing for the fall crops, now that I know how to do it and where to get the supplies.


One of my gardening relatives told me about a spray for tomatoes that helps them to pollinate.  I have not found a brand name yet to look for, but if you know of one, let me know.  We had one cool night in the 60s recently that I think helped the plants put out some new flowers.  Those cool nights will be rare now that we are in June.  

I am so excited to welcome Linda Beard to the Fun With Tower Garden blog and to share her experiences with her own tower gardening experience.  Linda is my first customer and filled her new garden with larger plants since that is what was available at the gardening center.  Many of her plants already have vegetables growing on them - tomatoes and peppers.  She also bought the extension kit with her, so her tower is two sections taller than mine.  


Linda just bought a second Tower Garden without the extension that she plans to use to grow green beans. Since she has much experience with a ground vegetable garden, I'm looking forward to learning from her gardening experience and how it relates to Tower Gardening.

I'm still in the process of learning how to trim the plants.  So far I've trimmed leaves off the spinach and the mints where new ones are already starting to grow as replacements.  The spinach passed the top of the cage, so I trimmed the end to see how the rest will do.  I will continue to read the individual guides to see what else I need to do as the growing continues. 

To see the Tower Garden in action come the the Round Rock, TX free presentation on June 11 as my guest.  Go to https://www.facebook.com/events/101778320029503/  for details.

Follow this blog by email and watch the Garden grow - sign up on the right.

For more information on the Tower Garden and to get your own go to:
 
www.funwith.towergarden.com

blessings on your own Tower Garden experience, 

Karen Beard, Direct Distributor
Juice Plus+® Tower Garden ™   
(512) 255-0075
funwith.towergarden@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment